The Garden of Words

Kuvahaun tulos haulle garden of words anime

I don't know why but I just can't seem to enjoy Makoto Shinkai's movies. I find the art absolutely stunning but end up hating the character and their actions each time. The movies have this feel that is both realistic but surreal. Everything feels soft and it somehow makes me uncomfortable. One of Shinkai's newer films Kimi no Na wa. (Your name.) was a huge success. It was everything people were talking about in the anime community. And I didn't enjoy the movie... it was just very boring to me. I had to keep myself awake while watching it by snacking.

I'd been eyeing The Garden of Words for a while. The art just looked so nice in all the posters and clips I saw of this movie that I just had to give it a chance. I thought the movie might be good or at least better than his other work.

That was a mistake. A big mistake! I definitely wasted 45 minutes of my life watching this movie. This movie also has the mushy and soft feeling that I hate! I can't explain how much I hated listening to this movie with my headphones on..! The female lead's voice.. She sounds like a high schooler! or a middle schooler! She is a high school teacher and her students sound older than her!

If I didn't make it clear earlier, I did not enjoy this movie. I didn't care about the character or what they were going through at all and I wasn't interested to learn anything about them either! 
Also, I'm pretty sure that the weird story was part of the reason why I was sketched out while watching this movie. A young adult unemployed woman with an eating disorder and a 15-year-old high school boy that is interested in shoes (especially women's shoes)... The woman got weirdly attached to the kid and the boy started obsessing over the woman and her feet. Yeah.. just not my movie I guess. Rather than me being uninterested, I think I just didn't want to learn more about them! Hahaha...

Comments

  1. The artwork grabbed my attention just as you said. And I was actually interested in watching a short movie like this...but...oh well, after reading your honest thoughts and main synopsis I am not so sure anymore xD It sounds like a weird movie about a foot fetish, and I'm also quite annoyed by those high pitched anime voices.
    I'm really pleasantly surprised that you not only write about your positive experiences and recommendtations, but also about some negative ones.

    Eszter

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Colors in Jungle Emperor Leo

Shiroi Kiba Monogatari

Chirin no Suzu - Ringing Bell