The Case of Hana & Alice




A movie that's not about dogs? Yes!
And this is one of my favorite movies as well!



I could talk about the plot of this movie but it's actually quite unimportant! The movie tells a story of  Tetsuko "Alice" Arisugawa and a girl she befriends called Hana Arai. The genre of this movie is marked as a drama, which I can understand but I'd personally call it a comedy. Both Hana and Alice are dumb teenagers that get themselves into dumb situations. ESPECIALLY when they try to be serious. Hana has love troubles and is dealing with a broken heart while Alice is trying to come to terms with the fact that her parents are divorced and tries to find a new father figure. But instead of choosing better ways to deal with their problems, Hana stops going to school and Alice starts hanging out with elderly men. 

Aiheeseen liittyvä kuva

What makes this movie really different tho is the fact that the whole movie is rotoscoped. And for those who didn't know, rotoscoping is when animators draw over filmed footage and trace the action. So the whole movie was first acted by real-life people and then someone drew the characters frame by frame! This technique is not often used as it costs double the money, you need both actors and animators for it after all! But I can see why they chose to use rotoscoping for this movie! It really adds to the funky feeling the movie already has. It took a while to get used to it while watching the movie, but like I said, it really fits this film!





The humor in this movie just makes me happy. It's not as dark or depressing as the jokes I usually enjoy and it's not grossly sweet either. Especially watching Hana and her obsession with this one dude! The guy is kinda an asshole... but Hana is also very... extra. She did give him a marriage certificate just to confess her attraction to him. Alice is a mess in her own way but her specialty seems to be creating misunderstandings and getting a ton of unrelated people involved with those misunderstandings! 

Aiheeseen liittyvä kuva
Aiheeseen liittyvä kuva

I warmly recommend this movie! It also has a live action sequel called Hana & Alice, but I have not seen that movie yet so I can't say if it's even good...

Comments

  1. I am watching this movie for sure! It seems interesting and fun :D Thanks for the recommendation! This rotoscoping technique is really intersting. I could see from the first gif that something is up with this movie, something that I haven't really seen with other movies. Thank you for bringing this to my life :3

    Eszter

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Colors in Jungle Emperor Leo

Shiroi Kiba Monogatari

Chirin no Suzu - Ringing Bell