Shiroi Kiba Monogatari


At this point, anyone reading this blog might wonder how many violent animated movies about animals I know... Well, let's just say the movies I have linked here are but a small fraction! 

This movie, a 1982 adaption of White Fang -book, is very dear to me and not only because of the story. I first saw this movie when I was a brat and old movies like this one were VERY VEEEERYYYY hard to find online. Of course, they never had subtitles either! This movie never had a western release and wasn't really that big of a deal in Japan either. 

I found the movie while watching anime from youtube when I was around 10. The title was in Japanese so for years I had no idea what the movie was called! At the time, all anime movies and episodes were cut in parts on youtube... I think this movie was cut on what.. 12 parts?? You can't understand how sad I was when the movie parts were at some point deleted from youtube and I had no way to search for it elsewhere. But then it was uploaded to youtube again, only to be taken down again. But now.. 12 years later, a group that does fanmade subtitles to old anime series and movies has completed this movie. Now there are also multiple uncut videos of the movie uploaded to not only youtube but to other websites as well!


The story is very similar to all the other White Fang adaptions. The ending is a little different since in this movie the wolfdog decides to stay with his owner. But before the ending song and credits hit the screen, we see White Fang hearing the call of the wild, so maybe he does decide to leave one day? The movie didn't dare to adapt that part. Also, in this version, White Fang is owned by Mit-sah, a young Native American boy.



It's not like I have new animations or 3D animation but there is just something about old animated movies and their art styles that I love! And Shiroi Kiba Monogatari is no exception to this. I love the way the lineart looks "messy". The watercolor painted backgrounds are also stunning. I don't really know if this movie is actually that good. I might very well just be blinded by nostalgia. There was recently a new adaption of White Fang but even tho I liked that one too, I still prefer this one.
Tbh I might watch this movie again this Xmas break!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colors in Jungle Emperor Leo

Chirin no Suzu - Ringing Bell